Agricultural Systems and Food Security: INRAE and the IFPRI sign an agreement to strengthen their collaboration
PRESS RELEASE - On Thursday 23 July, Philippe Mauguin, Chair and CEO of INRAE, and Johan Swinnen, Director General of the International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI)* signed a 4-year Cooperation Framework Agreement. The signature follows the visit from a French delegation, headed by Jean-Francois Soussana, Vice-President in charge of international policy at INRAE, to the IFPRI headquarters, in Washington D.C., in November 2019. The agreement aims to structure current collaboration efforts and to promote new ones on their shared topics of interest—namely agricultural systems and food security. This agreement also consolidates the collaboration and exchanges between researchers from the two institutions.
Published on 23 July 2020
The main research topics targeted are:
- the interplay between pandemics, such as COVID, and biodiversity, the environment, agricultural practices and food systems
- changes in food production and consumption patterns;
- the impact of globalisation and climate change on food systems and market organisation;
- pandemic management strategies and public policies.
This agreement consolidates the efforts to strengthen collaboration between the French research organizations INRAE, CIRAD and IRD and the Consortium of International Agricultural Research Centres (CGIAR), in accordance with their joint declaration of 22 March 2019.
Eventually, the institutes expect to launch joint annual calls for cross-mobility programmes for researchers.
* The International Food Policy Research Institute, IFPRI, is one of the 15 members of the Consortium of International Agricultural Research Centres (CGIAR)